Fixing Tiger Upgrade Issues

After the failure to get the Tiger upgrade to work yesterday, I’ve been looking at sorting out the issues that caused the upgrade problems.

Firstly, the local mail server gave me a lot of hassles, although that proved to be pretty easy to solve thanks to Howard. At this point it is worth looking back at why I was running a mail server anyway.

For many years my main ISP was Demon, who have always allowed infinite multiple mailboxes on a single account. Until Beth and I got married, I hadn’t needed the feature, however after Beth managed to download a virus from her web based e-mail, whilst all the incoming mail from Demon was virus checked I decided that it would probably be better if we found a way to allow Beth to have an address on the Demon account. Without getting overly technical, Demon cheats a bit to provide the infinite multiple mailboxes, whilst still providing POP3 support, effectively dumping all the e-mail together into one account, and then relying on the user to split it. They do provide ways to do the split, but it is a hassle to set up and either provides one user to get everything, or individual users, no intermediate stage with single users and a catch all address to sweep up the rest. Therefore the most straightforward way to deal with it is just to dump all the Demon e-mail into a local mail server, and use that. Since the Mac includes a built in mail server, that seemed the easiest option.

Things remained like that until Arborfield exchange got broadband, when thanks to their increasing ineptitude, and generally poor product offering, ultimately Zen got my business for my broadband connection. The main negative with Zen was limited e-mail, so at that point I registered a domain name, and hosted this up with At this point I only had their basic E-Mail Forwarding account that only rewrote the addresses on e-mails, but still needed my local e-mail server to do the sorting behind. Although I’ve subsequently upgraded the gradwell package, I’ve still stuck with the same basic e-mail setup.

Talking over the e-mail issue with Howard, he pointed out that my current gradwell package provided e-mail hosting, and with their superb management system I could easily match the setup I had locally, without needing any local server. One of those occasions where since other circumstances have changed, a different solution is now a lot more straightforward. As a result, I now have a similar e-mail setup configured through the gradwell servers to what I had before, however it should upgrade with a lot less hassle to Tiger, and won’t need any fudges to work either.

The next issue to be addressed, that of Norton Internet Security Mac, was looking like running without a virus checker for a while, as currently only Norton Antivirus had been fixed (for a £26.99 upgrade fee), but a fixed Norton Internet Security was coming, but again that would be a paid for upgrade. However the newsletter turned up this morning, complete with an article about an open source virus checker for the Mac called ClamXav. To be frank, the underlying anti-virus software ClamAV is actually responding as quick, if not quicker to new threats than the majors, pretty ironic for open source, and certainly quicker than the update frequency of the Mac version of Norton! Quite apart from that, it works on Tiger for free (although I’ll probably give the developer a donation), whilst I’ll need to pay to get a working version of Norton.

In fact the only outstanding issue is updating Missing Sync – roll on Tiger!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.