Moving to Lochside Grange – Completion and Handover

Last time I blogged about the new house was prior to completion, now we’re just over a week on from completion so prompted by the round of stories in the press this weekend filled with new build nightmares such as this horrific Bovis story from the BBC and this collection of Charles Church new home owners from the Guardian, I thought I’d continue with our experience with Lovell Homes on Lochside Grange.

Given Lovell’s refusal to allow a pre-completion snagging inspection, the basic plan of action was that I was going to use my last two days of annual leave to drive up to Scotland on the Thursday, complete on the Friday, give the house a good check over to get an idea of what needed doing with the assistance of a professional snagger on the Saturday, then secure the house and head back south on the Sunday. I’d then head back up in December to sort what needed sorting.

In summary, that is pretty well what happened, but what I hadn’t counted on was what happened on the Monday. At lunchtime I got a security alert from the house, and the security camera I left set up in the house got this – an Openreach engineer being let into the house by a Lovell site manager. As we had a handover form from Lovell that said we had all the keys, that then led to me having to take a days unpaid leave to fly up to Scotland and have the locks changed after talking to the insurance company.

So lets roll back to the week before. I went up and stayed at the excellent Cardinal’s Folly guest house in Kinghorn. Talking to the owners, the property was converted from what was the local Catholic church after the Catholic congregation merged with the congregation in the next village at Burntisland. The next morning I had an appointment at the site at 11am for my home demonstration visit, immediately followed by the handover.

The home demonstration visit, starts off with a definite instruction that the visit is not about snagging, and is really just one of the site managers taking you round the house showing you how to open the windows, turn the taps on and off, plus verbally highlighting some of the instructions such as not putting anything in the loft. The assistant site manager doing the demonstration did identify what the pile of cable by the wall was, not anything to do with the TV, but the fibre cable coming from Openreach, and another going into the house to the understairs cupboard.

Ironically after all the emphasis on not snagging, for the completion handover the handover form has you as totally untrained owner doing an inspection of the property, although the sales agent did hurry me up when I started properly looking at stuff. After that, following a phone call from the solicitor saying that they had completed I got the keys, lots and lots of keys. What was curious though was that we only got two front door keys, and whilst we got six keys for one set of french doors we only got five for the other, but this was signed off as all the keys that the developer had. The other thing that was in the house was the internal Lovell Snagging list. The sales agent spotted it and tried to remove it, but I spotted it and asked to see it and found that many of the items on the Lovell list had yet to be completed, and more than that some of the stuff Lovell claimed to have finished hadn’t been done properly, so the lock on the downstairs toilet hadn’t actually been screwed in. The sales agent at this point admitted that her and a colleague had snagged the house earlier in the week, and that many of the items they had spotted then had not been picked up either.

After that the sales agent and site manager left me to it. I started going through the post which was mainly junk, plus a note from Openreach saying they needed access to the property to finish the broadband installation, plus two letters from TV Licensing threatening legal action because the empty house with no TV aerial had no TV license.

From there I headed out to the local Tesco to get some shopping, and set about cooking dinner, and that found snag number one, the cooker hood extractor fan, which doesn’t extract. It sounds like something is stopping the blades of the extractor fan turning as you can hear it try to start, but nothing moving. Then coming to the dishwasher, that hadn’t been fitted correctly so wobbled about.

I’d already booked Michael from MDR Home Inspections for the next morning and he turned up at 9am, I also had AOIDigital booked in to come quote for a TV aerial and security system too.

Michael took the best part of four hours to inspect the house. In general he was pretty positive about the house, certainly he couldn’t find much outside, and a large number of the snags he found inside were finishing issues, so uneven paint finishes, and points where the doors were fouling on the newly installed carpet. The site manager doing the home demonstration the day before had mentioned the same thing and suggested that the carpet would settle over time – Michael laughed at that suggestion. He also highlight some places where the floors and ceilings were uneven in excess of the thresholds that the NHBC allow, and was most intrigued by our staircase, which he said didn’t meet the NHBC accessibility requirements. He put a coloured dot on every issue. Michael also was pretty complimentary over some parts of the house, highlighting that Lovell put covers over the screws on each switch and plug which he liked and some other builders don’t do.

My plan for Sunday was to get packed up early and head south. Unfortunately I didn’t get out quite as early as I was planning as I ended up bleeding a radiator first thing as the boiler started cutting out reporting that the heating system was over safe pressure. I managed to get the pressure down to safe tolerances, and then turned the thermostat down just in case there was an issue, noting down needing to get the boiler looked at when I was back at the house in December, and off I went south.

That brings us to Monday. I had a spare Netatmo Welcome camera which I set up hooked up to a Zyxel 4G router to just keep an eye on the house. The camera basically triggers when it detects motion, and on Monday lunchtime I got an alert on my phone, went to the app on the phone and could see somebody wandering around in my kitchen. I immediately phoned the sales office and said that there was somebody in the house, which sent the sales agent off to find out what was going on, she phoned back a few minutes later to say it was a site manager who had been on holiday and still had a key, and she would keep it in the office, only for the phone to activate again as people triggered the camera again.

Talking to the insurance company we went through the keys including the inconsistent numbers of keys for the french doors, and then talking to a locksmith at Forth Locks, they said that each lock should have three keys with it, so we’d established there was a third key for the front door, but there was clearly a missing key for the french doors. The locksmith was clear that the builders were taking the mickey in suggesting that there were only ever five keys for the french doors. The insurance company was clear that whilst they appreciated we were a long way away, we needed to take steps to secure the house as soon as possible. As a result I arranged to meet a locksmith at the house on Tuesday lunchtime to change the locks, and booked flights for a day trip to Scotland.

James from the locksmith met me at the house within twenty minutes of me getting there, and only an hour after I landed at Edinburgh airport. He didn’t have quite the right sized locks in the van, but did an emergency fix, and we’ve arranged for them to produce correctly sized locks which will be fitted when I’m back up there in December. When I went up to the sales office after the locks had been changed, the site manager who had let Openreach in was sat there and again said he was on holiday, thought we weren’t moving in until December, and when Openreach asked for access he found a key for the site and just let them in as he didn’t realise we’d taken over the house. It’s not really clear quite what happened, suffice to say there was a third front door key and the site manager used it to let in Openreach.

Looking at what had changed at the house, the main difference was that the pile of cable outside the house had disappeared, and we now had an unconnected Customer Splice Point on the outside wall, which explained the drilling noises that were on the second security video. As I was in town I popped down to the school to finish off registering the children at the local school, and got paper work to register at the local GP, and when I stopped back at the house there was an Openreach engineer who had just put a note through the door asking me to call his boss. Talking to him on the phone he explained what the issue with the fibre installation was.

He explained that the reason there was an issue with the broadband was that they had found a fault in the fibre cable that ran from the outside wall to where the GPON terminal was located in the understairs cupboard. Openreach needed the cable re-run, but he said that Lovell had suggested that they just drill through the wall and move the GPON terminal to the outside wall to bypass the cable. The problem with that idea is that the fibre comes up outside the living room, so that would move the GPON terminal from being hidden away in the understairs cupboad, to being very visible on the wall in the living room. I said I wasn’t happy with having my living room looking like a computer room, and he said he would go back to the developer.

Talking to Michael, who sent his formal report on Wednesday, he said that because the fibre cables are considered pretty tough, they are usually laid as part of first fix electrics, and then the floor slab poured over the top, so it seems the reason for not wanting to pull a new cable is simply that the existing cable is embedded in concrete. Needless to say I’ve added the fibre cable to the snagging list too.

Michael’s report ran to 147 items. He said that an average four bed he’d expect to find about 160 issues, so our house is pretty reasonable. Most are simple issues, and there is nothing in the important items to note, so hopefully all stuff that Lovell can easily sort.

My initial idea with this series of blogs, was given that most of the coverage of new builds is from massively unhappy customers with big problems, blogging an average move into a new build might redress the balance. I wasn’t expecting the developers to let themselves into the house with a key they hadn’t handed over of course. What is perhaps interesting is considering what would have happened if I didn’t have the camera, would they have just carried on working on the house, and I would have turned up in December to find the GPON terminal moved into the living room?

Also published on Medium.

One thought on “Moving to Lochside Grange – Completion and Handover”

  1. Excellent report of moving with Lovell. We are moving to Lovell too and have taken note of all the companies you used. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.