Shozu Support Round 2

After my first exchange with the Shozu support team yesterday, I wasn’t expecting a reply until next week. However I was most surprised when a reply popped into my inbox early this afternoon, together with another nice e-mail from Andy Tiller.

Anyway, Gerard, the support person confessed to being mystified as to why it wasn’t working, and made some more suggestions, again none of which worked. However alongside this I did some more experimenting, one experiment being to use my PDA to download the relevant files, both of which came down without a problem, despite using the same connection on the phone.

I also succeeded in getting the Shozu application installed, but it produced an error on it’s first screen because it didn’t have unrestricted access to the internet, despite my having given it the highest settings available. All of this rang a few bells with issues we’ve had at work with getting .Net applications to work – basically weird behaviour for no apparent reason.

After this I did some digging around the Mobile Java sites, and also took a look at Beth’s Sony Ericsson phone too. The main difference proved to be buried deep in the internet settings, on the Java Certificates page. On Beth’s phone, she had certificates from GeoTrust and Thawte, whereas I had just the one – marked SonyEricsson. I’m now pretty certain that this is the source of the problem, as a looking at the .jad file that Shozu uses reveals that the application is signed, so the Download Failed error is actually somewhat misleading – in actual fact the signed file has failed validation, and it is this same problem that is stopping the manually installed copy running too.

At this point I thought I’d see about manually installing the certificates myself – as both the required certificates are available from the relevant sites. Both were recognised by the phone when I transferred them, but both only installed into the trusted certificates folder, without appearing in the Java certificates. A bit more reading and I found the answer in this SonyEricsson support posting:

As specified in MIDP 2.0, it is not allowed to download new root certificates to the device. New root certificates can only be added to the phone at production/customization. A firmware upgrade of the phone can include new root certificates specified by Sony Ericsson.

So, if at this point you’re wondering why my phone doesn’t have the relevant certificates, if they’re so common, you might like to take a read of this blog entry I posted last June – basically O2 were sending out K750i’s that wouldn’t connect to the internet, so faced with not having the phone, or replacing the firmware, I de-branded the phone and installed the standard, fully working firmware. However it looks like the firmware image I used to fix the phone was lacking the relevant certificates, so in order to get it to work, I need to find a firmware that includes them, or the relevant customisation file – neither of which I can find.

Anyway, since re-flashing the phone costs €10 a go, and currently aside from Shozu everything else works fine (indeed I can still upload pictures from the phone to Flickr – just via the Mac instead) I won’t be loosing much sleep over it, just one of those things I guess. Having said that, it will probably be a bit of a disappointment to Andy Tiller who aside from his e-mail, also looked me up on Flickr. Although there is now only six months to wait until I’m due another phone upgrade anyway, and by that point the fantastic looking SonyEricsson P990 will be about. 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.